Fitness guru Johno Meintjies shares home work-out tips just for you.
Working out from home has reached new levels as millions of South Africans continue on their lockdown fitness journeys. If you’re trying to join the movement and need a few pointers to affordably up your workout game from the safety and comfort of your home, then meet Johno Meintjies, an international sports conditioning specialist and performance coach.
Johno is the founder of JEFF, a revolutionary eFitness Faculty that helps people achieve their weight and fitness goals from the safety and comfort of their own homes. Clients either take part in daily live workouts or 1-on-1 sessions with expert coaches and trainers.
Famous for running SA’s biggest online workout session on Family Day, Johno has shared his expert tips you can try at home to get the most out of your exercise routine.
JOHNO’S 3 TOP TIPS TO STAY MOTIVATED
- Set goals for yourself that are realistic but will motivate you.
- Do not obsess over the scale, rather focus on overall cm lost and body shape change.
- Join classes with friends to keep you accountable and supported in achieving your goals. There’s nothing like a friend to cheer you on.
READY? HERE’S WHERE TO START
According to Johno, the first thing you need to consider when starting your fitness journey is to “choose a form of exercise that suits your fitness level and ability and ensure you have a clean bill of health.”
CALLING BEGINNERS, HOW TO MAKE FITNESS A WAY OF LIFE
- “Have a fitness buddy that you are accountable to. Doing a workout together, even virtually, is a huge motivator to ensure you show up and complete your workout.
- “Start with light cardio and bodyweight training 3 times a week, build up to more challenging workouts and then increase training to 5 times a week. Even a simple, brisk walk once a day is a great start for someone who is not typically active.
- “Ensure you set time aside for your fitness routine and commit this time to yourself with no excuses. Mark the time in your diary/calendar and communicate this to your family so that they can support you in achieving your goals.”
JOHNO’S MUST-TRY WORKOUT MOVE
While burpees may not be Johno’s favourite workout move, he says that they’re one of the most effective as they work all the muscle groups in the body! “I personally love doing star jumps, as everything gets moving, as well as sprint repeaters too. That’s a 60-second max effort run and a 60-second walk over 10 reps. Add a 20-minute burner that makes you feel good to end your session off,” advises Johno.
GET ALL YOUR FITNESS GEAR & FOOD WITH YOUR RCS STORE CARD
From fitness clothing to healthy meals, get all you need to be a healthier, fitter you from retailers within the RCS Shopping Network. Use your RCS Store Card and get up to 55 days interest free*. Don’t forget that you can also pay your RCS account instore at Checkers, Game, Makro and Pick n Pay with your EasyPay number.