Looking to put a little more cash in your pocket? Check out these 10 side hustles you can do from the comfort of your own home.
A side hustle is anything outside of your day job that helps you earn extra money and it’s a solid idea because it can create a potential safety net for when life throws you a curveball. It also allows you to have a go at something you’re passionate about. If you’re loving the work-from-home life, then these side hustle ideas might be just right for you.
WHAT TO CONSIDER WHEN STARTING A SIDE HUSTLE
Let’s start with the basics. There are a number of things you’ll need to consider when it comes to starting a side business.
- Set yourself up for success. Even though it’s a side hustle, it’s still a business and should be treated as such to make sure it succeeds. Consider creating a business plan.
- How will you fund your side hustle? If you don’t intend on quitting your day job just yet, consider how you will fund your side hustle to avoid putting strain on your current budget.
- Set clear goals. Consider what your idea of success is and what will be required to get there. This should not only include financing your business, but time and other resources you may need.
- Lean on outside expertise. Use your network of professionals that may be able to give you advice on running a business or side hustle. Where you can, consider trade exchanges for their services or advice.
- What skills do you need? If your side hustle requires any certification, training or licensing fees, this may come at a cost. Factor this into your budget.
- BECOME A VIRTUAL ASSISTANT
Super organised? Check. Great communication skills? Check. Work remotely and help businesses with tasks such as scheduling appointments, travel arrangements and research.
- MANAGE SOCIAL MEDIA FOR A SMALL BUSINESS
Some small businesses don’t have the time or know-how to create an online presence. That’s where someone who is savvy on social media could step in and offer to help… at a reasonable hourly rate.
- START A BAKING BUSINESS
Make the best milk tart and cupcakes in town? Put your baking skills to good use and offer your services for birthdays or work functions. Or think big and approach a local coffee shop about stocking your delicious baked goods.
- TEACH A SKILL
Maybe you’re a DIY guru or a WordPress master. Share your knowledge by offering private lessons over Zoom.
- LOCAL IS LEKKER
More and more people are looking to support local businesses. If you can produce anything, whether it’s beautiful home-grown veggies or knitted beanies, then set up a Facebook page or Instagram account to promote and sell your goods.
- ONLINE SURVEYS
While it won’t bring in the big bucks, you can earn a little extra cash by completing online surveys. LifePoints is an example of a legitimate survey website.
If you’re an animal lover with a safe and secure space, create a home-away-from-home for looking after furry friends when their owners are at work or out of town.
- DO THE LAUNDRY
It’s so simple, but most people hate doing it. Armed with a washing machine and an iron you could provide a valuable service for busy parents.
- ONLINE FREELANCING
Websites like Upwork and Freelancer are communities that help match freelancers with jobs. The work could be anything from blog writing to logo design or proofreading.
- TEACH ENGLISH ONLINE
There is a growing demand to teach English to people overseas, but you will need some form of training such as a TEFL course. You can also tutor any subject that you have experience in online or in your community.