Falls and bumps are part of growing up, but you can prevent serious injury with some basic and easy-to-do babyproofing.
A baby in a house is a lot like a bull in a China shop… only difference is, it’s the bull, not the china, that could get broken. Your baby can turn into a mini adventurer overnight, and while there’s no need to fill your trolley with fancy gadgets, there are some precautions every parent must take. Get down on your hands and knees to see the world of mischief your little one is about to enter.
- Skip cot bumpers and stay away from soft, fluffy bedding.
- Put the cot on the lowest level so that baby can’t climb out.
- Don’t hang shelves or pictures over the cot or changing table.
- Keep a hanging mobile out of reach.
LOUNGE & DINING ROOM
- Secure tall, heavy furniture to the wall so it can’t be pulled over.
- Don’t use tablecloths that can be pulled down.
- Avoid cord tiebacks for curtains.
- Put safety latches on the drawers and cupboards of your TV unit.
- Pack glass and cleaning products in high cupboards or use safety latches.
- Turn pot and pan handles away from the edge of the stove.
- Put a safety latch over the oven door and covers on the knobs.
- Keep baby out of the kitchen when the oven is on so they can’t burn themselves on the door.
- Fill the bath so that it only covers baby’s legs.
- Use water warm under 37ºC and test it with your elbow or a thermometer.
- Use a nonslip bathmat.
- Put a soft cover over the hot water tap to prevent burns.
AROUND THE HOUSE
- Keep medication in a secure container that is out of reach.
- Secure dustbins in all rooms.
- Use edge guards on tables and sharp corners.
- Put plug covers on all unused outlets.
- Use doorstops to stop doors slamming on fingers.
- Use guards on windows above the ground floor.
- Install safety gates at the top and bottom of stairs.
- Cover balcony rails with safety mesh or Perspex.
- Make sure your pool is fenced in with a secure gate.
GET WHAT YOU NEED!
Your RCS Card gives you access to the RCS shopping network of over 21 000 stores – including South Africa’s leading home stores, and specialist baby stores. Use your RCS Card today to stock up on the products you’re looking for.