Buying an engagement ring can be both an exciting and daunting experience as you enter the next chapter of your life. Here’s what to look out for.
As you embark on a new phase of your life, you will want to equip yourself with as much information as possible. The same goes with shopping for an engagement ring – which can be one of the biggest purchases of your life. Luckily, we’ve rounded up a list of points to consider, straight from the trusted experts at our retail partner NWJ. Plus, with the help of an RCS Personal Loan of up to R250 000 with interest from as low as 15%*, you can make this experience a truly memorable one.
Here’s a round-up of what to look out for when purchasing a ring:
Click on image*
Top tips for buying an engagement ring
- Familiarise yourself with the 4 Cs when buying a diamond ring
- Colour: Whiter or lighter diamonds are valued more
- Clarity: There are different clarity grades, and diamonds with fewer blemishes or inclusions are valued more
- Carat weight: Note that diamonds with identical carat weight can still be valued differently. Larger diamonds are rare.
- Cut: Understand the difference between the cut and the shape of a diamond. The proportions, symmetry and polish of a diamond determine its cut.
- Purchase from a reputable jeweller who is affiliated with the Jewellery Council of South Africa.
- Request a valuation for insurance purposes to secure the right cover for your ring.
- Make sure that you re-tip the claws of your ring at least once every two years so that the stone/s remain secure. This is also a requirement from your insurance company.
- Polish and invest in rhodium-plating your jewellery once a year, especially when purchasing white gold items.
- Don’t keep your jewellery in the same jewellery box as your other jewellery items, as this will eventually tarnish or discolour it. The best place to leave your jewellery is in a well-ventilated jewellery box or a ceramic jewellery plate.
EQUIP YOURSELF WITH THE RIGHT INFORMATION
By making sure you’ve equipped yourself with the right information, you can take the stress out of this high-value purchase and have a seamless experience buying an engagement ring. Don’t forget, you can also apply for an RCS Personal Loan of up to R250 000 and enjoy flexible payment options to purchase the ring of your partner’s dreams.
*Service and initiation fees apply.