Consult this essential road trip snack list the next time you’re planning to hit the highway.
About to hit the road? Don’t limit your meal choices to the petrol station café or the Wimpy menu. You can enjoy snacking throughout your journey with these delicious – and more nutritious! – snack options.
An early morning departure requires some breakfast-appropriate snacks:
• Mini bran or banana muffins
• Cereal bars
• Fresh fruit such as bananas, apples and pears
• Drinking yoghurt
• Stuffed eggs if you don’t mind driving with the windows open
On a long-haul drive you’ll probably have to stop for lunch, and there’s nothing better than fresh homemade sandwiches. These fillings are easy to take in the car with you.
• Cheese and ham – take slices of tomato to add at the last minute
• Chicken mayo
• Peanut butter and jam or peanut butter and banana
• Hummus, sundried tomato and ham
• Roast beef, mustard and lettuce
To avoid soggy sandwiches, lightly toast the bread beforehand and put your condiments between the meat and cheese and not straight onto the bread. Wraps don’t absorb as much moisture as bread so make chicken salad wraps and cover in tinfoil.
Most road trip snacking is the result of boredom and the need to stay awake. But grabbing chips or chocolate every time you need a pick-me-up is not good for your hips or your heart. Here are some guilt-free options:
• An assortment of nuts such as peanuts, cashews and almonds
• Biltong for a good dose of protein
• Home-popped popcorn with a sprinkling of salt
• Yoghurt or dark chocolate-covered rice cakes
• Dried fruit such as raisins, apricots and mango rolls
• Pre-prepped veggies such as cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks and cucumber slices
• Dark chocolate Lindt balls for Mom and Dad
• Snack pack biscuits for the kids
Water, vegetable juice and 100% fruit juice boxes.
Cooler bag with ice packs, plastic containers and zip lock bags, baby wipes, paper towels and hand sanitiser. Pop in some plastic bags to collect rubbish.
Now that you know what you need, browse the RCS shopping network of over 21 000 stores, and swipe your RCS Card to stock up!