Do's and Don’ts for Saving Petrol
24 AUGUST 2023
Petrol saving tipsBy driving and filling up smarter, you can get the most out of your tank and save petrol. And when you need it most, you can also use your RCS Store Card at selected Engen and Shell filling stations nationwide and get up to 55 days interest free* on your fuel.
Here’s how you can get more fuel for your money. Yes, seriously!
- DO fill up with the right fuel: Filling up with a high octane fuel not meant for your car is more likely to burn up faster than make you go faster. If you’re not sure which fuel to use, check the car's owner's manual or the inside of your fuel cap for a label with details. If you’re using a rental car, call your car rental company as a precaution.
- DO maintain your motor: A poorly maintained engine will consume more fuel. Change oil and air filters regularly (this can be done at an AutoZone – where you can use your RCS Store Card) to help you save petrol in the long run.
- DO check your tyres: Under-inflated tyres are a drain on your petrol tank. Also, remember that wide-width tyres are likely to increase fuel consumption.
- DO lose the weight, lose the drag: Roof racks, equipment carriers, open windows to that full boot you keep putting off clearing out equals added weight and air resistance, which in turn negatively affects fuel usage. A lighter car equals a lighter wallet.
- DO carpool. Sharing a lift with a colleague saves a considerable amount of petrol and wear and tear on your car. Save that petrol for doing something fun on the weekend instead. Do the same with the school run and any activities you do with someone in your area.
- DON’T drive recklessly: Avoid unnecessary acceleration and sudden braking where possible. Stick to the speed limit; it’s safe and saves you money.
- DON’T use your clutch on an incline: If you’re driving a manual, using your clutch to hold your car on an incline will not save petrol. Rather use your handbrake. Likewise, if you drive an automatic, don’t use your accelerator to stop on an incline.
- DON’T do short trips. Because your engine uses more fuel when it’s cold, short trips easily increase your fuel consumption. Combine errands and start with the farthest destination first.
- DON’T spend time in the parking lot. We’re all guilty of it but driving around looking for that perfect spot in the front not only wastes time, but it also wastes petrol. Take the first one you see, even if you have to walk a little bit. Your wallet and your body will thank you.
Buying a car is a big step. Don’t let crippling fuel costs make you regret it. Take note of these savvy petrol-saving tips, buckle up and enjoy the ride.
CRUISE TO YOUR DESTINATION WITH AN RCS STORE CARD
Never be left stranded in need of petrol. Use your RCS Store Card to fill up at selected Engen and Shell stations countrywide. You’ll get up to 55 days interest free and access to cash when you need it. Don’t have an RCS Store Card? Apply today.
*Service and initiation fees apply.